MOVE is the first industry-wide audience measurement system for outdoor media in Australia

Understanding MOVE Reports

Influences on Reach & Frequency

The effectiveness of any media including OOH is dependent on a range of factors, and some of these are listed here.

Media Influences

Factors such as Length of Exposure or Impact are things which are not included in MOVE currently.

Length of Exposure:

MOVE visibility scores are based on the same length of eye fixation on the space. This length of time is long enough for the visibility result to confirm people have looked at the sign.

People who look longer do not get a different visibility score. MOVE does not therefore account for different lengths of exposure in different environments and by travel modes. Different lengths of exposure could have an impact on creative and message uptake rates.Longer exposures in some environments and travel modes should be included as an additional consideration when evaluating reach and frequency.

Impact:

Impact can add value to the campaign. Impact can be made up of a range of factors including size and contrast to the surroundings.

Visibility scores within MOVE are not measuring this impact. They are measuring size in terms of its visibility – in other words will someone look at it, with no consideration to how that size creates impact by itself and within the surrounding area. LTS should not be used as a measure of a campaigns impact therefore.

Other considerations:

MOVE has a complex methodology to measure OOH. Some additional factors to consider when assessing OOH campaigns are:

  • Each market measures just the population inside that market. This creates points within the market where MOVE only measures a portion of the total audience for example. airports. Approximately 95% of total travel within a market each day is made by the residents of that particular market. The remaining 5% will include people from intrastate, interstate and overseas who are not included in MOVE. At the entry points to the market this can be quite a significant portion of the total people in that location.
  • MOVE currently measures panels that have multiple executions as if they were a static location. This reflects best practice at the time of launch, but with the increases to digital in recent years will be reviewed in the future.
  • The traffic flows within the MOVE model have the same speed for all vehicles on a stretch of the road network. This means unless a bus stops along that section of road (i.e. in service) it doesn’t receive any audience from people in cars in the same direction. It is possible there is an underscore within bus results occurring therefore currently. This audience is planned for releases in MOVE in 2014.